Information for participants
“I’ve learned lab and project management skills that were never part of my formal academic training. I learned how to communicate better with industrial partners and to plan out larger-scale projects that I wouldn’t be able to accomplish alone in a purely academic setting. Thanks to these skills I learned in the Elevate program, I’m starting to coordinate large multidisciplinary projects involving clinicians, academics, and industrial partners – and that’s exactly where I wanted to be.” – Dr. Peter Bevan, Mitacs Elevate fellow
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate is a program that develops skills of postdoctoral fellows in Canada and builds capacity for R&D management in various academic, industrial and non-profit sectors.
- Over the two-year fellowship, Elevate fellows develop career-ready skills in areas such as project management, entrepreneurship and presentation skills, while applying both their expertise and professional skill set in the real-world environment of their partner organization through a 2-year research project.
- This engagement with partner organizations also provides Elevate fellows with the opportunity to work on an industrially relevant research challenge and gain valuable research leadership experience.
Benefits of Mitacs Elevate
- Mitacs provides an intensive level of support at every stage of the program, a feature unique to Mitacs Elevate.
- Fellows receive assistance with submissions – including feedback on draft applications – assistance in identifying and approaching suitable potential partner organizations and ongoing skills development tailored to recent PhD graduates.
- Throughout the fellowship, Mitacs maintains frequent contact with fellows to ensure both the research projects and professional development activities are on track.
- Fellows also receive a competitive stipend of at least $50,000 per year.
- The program’s networking and training component provides postdoctoral fellows with ample opportunity to connect with peers in their cohort, as well as industry and non-academic partner representatives, potential employers, and workshop facilitators.
- Elevate fellows indicate that their networking and training experiences through Mitacs Elevate have opened new doors to career opportunities that they may not have otherwise considered.
“The project is a win-win for a company like Immunovaccine. We get access to a highly-talented postdoc who is at the top of her game to do a very technically-driven project, while meeting aggressive timelines. In the long term, this partnership will better our science, while exposing us to a highly-skilled trainee that we can then draw on as we plan to expand our company.”- Marianne Stanford, Director of Research, Immunovaccine
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate is an attractive option for organizations seeking a recognized program to help them develop their research & development management capacity in-house with a minimal impact on their R&D budgets.
- By connecting companies with a talented PhD graduate, the 2-year fellowship encourages knowledge transfer of the fellow’s practical and professional skills to the organization.
- Concurrently, companies benefit from fellows’ creativity and fresh approach to current research challenges.
- Company participation in Mitacs Elevate is affordable and offers companies a low-risk, longer term means to access university-based expertise while evaluating a potential employee.
- Collaborations through Mitacs Elevate also allow companies to access equipment, lab spaces and other university resources that may otherwise be unattainable within existing budgets.
- For every $1 of a partner organization’s $25,000 contribution, Mitacs provides $1.30 in matching funds for a total research grant of $57,500 per year.
- This includes support for fellows and up to $7,500 in research costs for equipment, additional research personnel, conference travel and publishing costs.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are administered by universities rather than companies, so that head counts are not affected and employee benefit contributions are not mandatory for a company’s participation.
- Partner organizations are not required to provide financial statements with the application and companies of all sizes and in all industry sectors are eligible to apply.
About the program
- Mitacs Elevate helps faculty at Canadian universities develop key relationships with industry while furthering their research.
- The program also supports existing collaborations and provides competitive funding to encourage long-term research, including competitive support for fellows and up to $7,500 in flexible research costs.
- Applications are peer-reviewed to ensure that projects are academically and industrially relevant and are evaluated in a bi-annual, competitive call for proposals.
- Projects may present opportunities for publication as well as collaboration with the partner organization beyond the two-year period.
- The program provides a source of long-term funding for talented postdoctoral fellows.
- All Mitacs Elevate awards are forwarded as a research grant to the faculty supervisor.
- Did you know that Elevate fellowships can be integrated into prospective Mitacs Accelerate clusters? For more information on these postdoctoral leadership opportunities, please visit the Accelerate Program Guide and click on “Program Overview.”
Latest elevate News
In the past year I have learned much about the industry side of biotechnology and your program has expanded many of the professional skills that I was hoping to obtain. Most importantly, the Elevate program has opened up opportunities that would not have been possible otherwise. Thus, I really enjoyed the program and I hope to learn more and develop further within the next year.